This is a mighty long post. But I enjoyed working on this for Madras Musings. You can also download all these street names as a pdf from here
Some Chennai Street Names and their History
With the Corporation of Chennai taking a decision that it will rename, after Tamil scholars, all those streets that still sport the names of colonial masters, a whole host of re-christenings is just around the corner. Madras Musings has already highlighted the futility of such an exercise, for street names are hardly the way to commemorate anyone in these modern times. It has also pointed out that those who live on streets that are being renamed will be put to enormous hardships, having to notify various agencies and institutions about change of address. But as all these are likely to fall on deaf ears, especially when populism is likely to receive big dividends, our publication had appealed that before the old names are all changed in one sweep, it would be best to look at what had led to the streets being named after a particular person in the past. In many cases roads and streets were named after obscure Company/Government servants and businessmen to whose properties and garden houses these thoroughfares had once led. But in a few instances, the names so commemorated are still worthy of retention thanks largely to the individual’s service to the city, to the world at large or even, as in the case of FW Ellis, to the cause of Tamil. These, Madras Musings opines, deserve to be retained.
Having said that, we, at Madras Musings. embarked on an exercise of identifying the streets named after Europeans and colonial servants. We used the Eicher City Map of Chennai (2008 edition) as our basis, referring to the index of street and locality names section at the back of the book. In this activity, we decided to concentrate only on those localities that existed in Madras city in 1947, for the Corporation has made it clear that it wants to rename only those streets that commemorate British names. Our boundaries were therefore clear- Tiruvottiyur/Washermanpet/Royapuram in the North, T Nagar/West Mambalam to the West, Adyar to the South and of course, the sea to the East. We have however included Guindy and Saidapet in our listing, as these are old areas, which were however not within the city in 1947.
In our search, we found a few streets in different localities, having the same names. In such cases, we have tried to identify if the streets commemorate the same person or different people. We have therefore given the locality in which the street is to be found, in parenthesis and therefore if a street name is common to various localities, the name will be listed repeatedly, each time with a different locality in brackets. In all, we found that there are 189 roads/streets/localities that still bear colonial names. This does not include roads that have already been renamed (though it must be pointed out that the old names are still in currency). You will thus not find Lloyds Road or Moubrays Road in this list.
This was the easier part of the exercise. The more difficult task was to identify who was being commemorated in each instance. In this task we were greatly helped by Henry Davision Love’s Vestiges of Old Madras (referred to as Love in this article), in which the third volume has a list of some street names with the history behind each one of them. It must be pointed out here that even when Love wrote the book, several names had become obscure and he too had difficulty in definitely attributing a street to a particular individual. Today, it has become an even more speculative exercise. In addition to Love’s work, we referred to J Talboys Wheeler’s Madras In the Olden Time (First Published in 1882, Asian Educational Services reprint 1993, identified here as MIOT), J Chartres Molony’s A Book of South India (First Published in 1926, Methuens Ltd., London, Asian Educational Services reprint 2004, identified here as JCM ), The Madras Tercentenary Commemorative Volume (Aug 4, 1939, Asian Educational Services reprint 1994, identified here as MTV), Southern India, Its History, People, Commerce and Industrial Resources by Somerset Playne (The Foreign & Colonial Compiling & Publishing Co., London, 1914/15, Asian Educational Services reprint 2004, identified here as SI), The High Court of Madras, Centenary Commemoration Volume (1962, identified as HCM). We also found a resource on the internet to be most useful. This is a Madras Notebook of 1833 (identified as MN) which is featured in the web site http://valmayukuk.tripod.com/index.html. This has some names and their places of residence. In some places, we have made our own guesses and these have been marked MM. This list does not include names of street within Fort St George.
Based on these resources, we have put together a list. Against each name we have given the details that have been obtained. We have also given the source in each instance from where we have obtained this information. There are several about whom no details were found and these have been left blank. In particular, we found ourselves at a loss to explain the names of several streets in Perambur. Possibly many of them commemorate officers of the railway workshops going by the few names we were able to identify. We invite readers of Madras Musings to send in any information that they may have on streets where we have drawn a blank. It is also worth pointing out that Chennai is a city with countless streets and maps do have streets without names. These would also be left out here and we request readers to fill us in.
Adams Street (George Town): Possibly after Sir Frederick Adams, Governor of Madras from 1832-1837
Adams Street (Washermanpet)
Adams Street (Mylapore) MM: Love quotes from the 1784 work Genuine Memoirs o Asiaticus whose author Philip Dormer Stanhope writes of having dined in June1775 with Mr Reynold Adams, Free Merchant and by then Master Intendant at Fort St George, who has a “most elegant mansion in the parish of St Thomas” (this being San Thome now.
Adams Street (Triplicane) MTV: Reynold Adams who came in 1764 as a free merchant and later became Master Attendant, owned a house here
Alexander Road (Choolai) :
Anderson Road (Nungambakkam/Egmore) Love: Dr James Anderson, Physician General in 1786. Renowned botanist who had his botanical gardens in the area.
Anderson Street (George Town) Love has it that this street too was named after Dr James Anderson but it is quite likely that it was John Anderson, the Founder of the General Assembly school which later became the Madras Christian College
Anderson Road (Ayanavaram)
Annie Besant Street (Tondiarpet) Freedom fighter, thesophist, women’s rights activist, educationist
Arathoon Road (Royapuram) Old Armenian family of John Arathoon c 1819
Arundale Street (Mylapore) Sir AT Arundale, President, Madras Corporation in the 1890s and the man who ensured VP Hall became a reality
Aspiran Garden Colony (Ayanavaram)
Atkinson Road (Vepery) Love: Is believed to take its name from Edward Atkinson, a civil servant of 1783 and Secretary to the Hospital Board in 1788 who appears to have had a house in this street.
Austin Nagar (Alwarpet)
Baker Street (George Town): From a reading of Love, this street was probaly named after George Baker who owned property in Peddanaickenpet and who first mooted the Seven Wells scheme for water supply to Madras. He was Master Attendant
Bishop Wallers Avenue (Mylapore): Church of South India records: Archbishop Waller of the Diocese of Madras from 1922
Blavatsky Avenue (Adyar): Madame Blavatsky, Founder of the Theosophist Movement
Ballard Street (Perambur):
Balfour Road (Kilpauk) Dr Edward Green Balfour who in the 1840s came to Madras as Surgeon General and founded the Madras Zoo and Museum. He also helped found the Mohammedan Library in Triplicane and helped in making the Nawab’s Madrasa a public school
Bamford Road (Ayanavaram)
Barnaby Road (Kilpauk): Probably Burnaby after Henry Burnaby, partner in the firm of Kindersely, Watts & Co who bought land in the area from one Hall Plumer. This is as interpreted from a reference in Love. But even in 1921 this road had the name Barnaby.
Barton Wright Road (Ayanavaram): William Barton Wright, Locomotive Superintendent of Perambur Loco Works in the 1860s. His son EW Barton Wright was a jujitsu exponent and created a new style – the Bartitsu (Barton Wright’s Jujitsu). Ref: http://www.bartitsu.org
Besant Avenue Road (Adyar) : Named after Annie Besant
Besant Gardens, Theosophical Society: Named after Annie Besant
Besant Road (Triplicane): Named after Annie Besant
Binny Road (off Mount Road) Love: This short thoroughfare connecting the Mount Road with Commander-in-Chief’s Bridge takes its name from John Binny whose residence afterwards became the Imperial Hotel (This is today’s Connemara Hotel). About 1797 John Binny like predecessors of his name (there were at least three Binnys prior to him) entered the Nawab’s service. He founded a firm which was described in 1803 as Binney Dennison and before 1814 as Binny & Co.
Binny Colony (Madhavaram)
Binny Gardens (Pulianthope): Possibly because the Binny mills stood here
Binny Road (Poes Gardens): So named as several bungalows here were residences of Binny Directors.
Bishops Garden (RA Puram)
Blackers Road (Chindadripet):Love: Was probably named after H Blacker who in 1837 owned a house at the junction of that thoroughfare with Mount Road
Branson Garden Street (Kilpauk):
Brethaupt Road (Vepery):Love: Takes its name from Mr Christopher Breithaupt, free merchant who received a grant of five acres in that locality in 1798. In 1816 he was a partner in the firm of Pugh & Breithaupt
Brightons Road (Pulianthope)
Brooks Road (Perambur): MM: Probably after Horatio G Brooks of New York, pioneer locomotive manufacturer who in the 1860s began the Brooks Locomotive Works which supplied locomotives and carriages all over the world.
Burkit Road (T Nagar): Harold Hamilton Burkitt, Assistant Collector & Magistrate of Madras, 1900. (ref: India Office List – 1905, Google Books)
Casa Major Road (Egmore):Love: Existed in 1798. Was probably named after James Henry Casamajor (son of Noah Casamajor) who arrived as a Writer in 1762 and was still serving till 1811. Later members of his family belonging to the Civil Service were John Casamajor, who entered in 1792, James Archibald in 1802 and George James in 1812
Clemens Road (Vepery)
Coats Road (T Nagar): JCM: James R Coats, Engineer of the Corporation of Madras c 1914-1920
Cochranes Basin Road (Basin Bridge): The Hon. Basil Cochrane, the engineer who created the navigable channel between Ennore and Madras. This later became a part of the Buckingham Canal
Collettpet (Tiruvottiyur):Love: Joseph Collet, President of Fort St George 1717-1720
Conran Smith Nagar (Choolai): Conran Smith, first ICS Commissioner of the Madras Corporation Conran Smith Road (Gopalapuram): same as above
Cooks Road (Ayanavaram)
Constable Road (Ayanavaram) SI: Col. WV Constable, Director on the Board of the Madras & South Maratha Railway, circa 1900
Cox Street (Park Town)
D’Monte Colony (Alwarpet): John De Monte – 19th century business magnate and philanthropist of Madras
D’Silva Road (Mylapore): Love: Called so after Francis De Silva, a publican, who in 1798 received a grant of 6 acres in St Thome at Luz.
Dams Road (off Mount Road):
Davidson Street (George Town): Love: Doubtless named after Mr Alexander Davidson, Acting Governor of Fort St George in 1785
DeCaster Main Road (Ayanavaram):
Demellows Road (Ayanavaram):
De Monte Street (San Thome): Probably after John D’Monte (see D’Monte Colony above)
Doomingkuppam (San Thome)
Dooming Street (San Thome):
Duncan Road (Ayanavaram)
Edward Park Road (Choolai)
Eldams Road (Teynampet) Love: Yeldham’s Road: Was laid out before 1816. It is named after Mr Richard Yeldham, a free merchant who in 1801 was the last of a long line of Mayors of Madras. In 1803 he was a Commissioner for the Recovery of Small Debts and Muster Master of the Kings Troops and in 1811 was Treasurer of the Government Bank. He acquired one and a half acres in Teynampet in 1796 and built the residence now called Luz House (this is confusing as the Luz House of today is in Luz and belongs to the Buchi Babu family).
Ellis Road (off Mount Road): FW Ellis – Civil Servant, Orientalist and the man who first propounded a Dravidian origin theory for Tamil
Elphinstone Bridge (Adyar): John, 1st Baron Elphinstone, Governor of Madras between 1837 and 1842
Fisher Road (Perambur):
Flowells Street (Guindy)
Flower Street (Saidapet)
Flowers Road (Kilpauk): Love: Probably named after Mr Austin Flower who was resident of Madras between 1803 and 1822. In 1811 he was Clerk to the Justices and later became also Clerk of the Peace and Collector of Assessment
Foxen Street (Perambur)
Francis Joseph Street (George Town)
Frazer Bridge Road (George Town):Love: Named after John Frazer, Municipal Engineer who planned the waterworks
General Collins Road (Vepery): Love: Derives its name from Edward Collins, who obtained a grant of ground in Vepery in 1803. He entered the army in 1765, became Maj. Gen. thirty years later and died in Vepery in 1808 aged 75.
General Patters Road (Royapettah):Love: Named after John Pater of the Madras Cavalry who was Captain in 1784, became Major General in 1805 and died at Madras a Lieutenant General in 1817.
George Avenue (Poes Gardens)
Gilchrist Avenue (Chetput):MM: Probably the brainchild of Dr S Swaminadhan, the well-known barrister who returned to India after a Glichrist scholarship and built a house here called Gilchrist Gardens
Gills Lane (George Town)
Gills Street (George Town)
Goomes Street (George Town)
Graemes Lane (off Mount Road) Love: Takes it name from Henry Sullivan Graeme, who entered the civil service in 1797 and was a Member of Council for five years from 1823. At that time he owned ‘The Mansion’ to which Graeme’s Road leads from Mount Road. The adjacent property was called Graeme’s Gardens.
Graemes Road (off Mount Road): Same as above
Grays Nagar (Choolai)
Gregory Street (George Town)
Haddows Road (Nungambakkam) Love: Hadows Road: Takes its name from Mr George John Hadow who entered the civil service in 1805 and was Collector of Sea Customs in 1822. A house in that road known as Blenheim which has lately been demolished, is marked Mr GJ Haddow in the map of 1822
Halls Road (Egmore and Kilpauk):Love: Derives its designation from General Hamilton Hall or his widow (Flora Tondeclair). The latter owned two houses in this road in 1837. Hamilton Hall entered the service in 1781, becoming Lt. Col. In 1807, and died at Trichinopoly in 1827 when commanding the southern division of the army.
Harleys Road (Kilpauk): MM: A Harleys House stood on this road till te 1970s. The Madras Chapter of the Round Table was started here.
Harrington Road (Chetput):Love: Takes its name from William Harrington, who in 1784 joined the civil service and in 1796 received a grant of 10 acres to the south of the Spur Tank
Harris Bridge (Chindadripet):Lord Harris, Governor of Madras from 1854-1859
Harris Road (Chindadripet): same as above
Heaton Road (Perambur):
Hopman Street (St Thomas Mount)
Hunters Road (Vepery):Love: Formerly called Hunter Street is named after Mr John Hunter who arrived in Madras as a free merchant in 1787, served as cashier of the Carnatic Bank and about 1795 became Secretary of the British Bank and one of its Directors. In 1796 he received a grant of an acre of land in Vepery and in 1803 was head of the firm of Hunter & Hay, whose offices were in Fort St George. He owned Hunter House in this thoroughfare, a building long since demolished.
Isac Street (Park Town):
Jarretts Garden (Egmore):Love: Thomas Jarrett, a civil servant of the Bencoolen establishment from 1791 was transferred to Madras in 1805. He returned to England in 1823 and died in 1837. The house on the property has been lately demolished.
Jeenis Road (Saidapet): MM: As this area was largely Nawab property, this may commemorate a Mohammedan name such as Junus or Younus.
Jeremiah Road (Vepery)
Jesson Street (Park Town)
Jones Road (Saidapet)
Jones Street (George Town)- Love mentions this as a Mr Jones Street in connection with a dispute between the Company’s officers and the Nawab’s employees regarding a survey on land assessment on this thoroughfare in 1796. But he does not mention who Jones was. There have however been plenty of Joneses in the history of the city.
Kellys Road (Kilpauk)
Kennett Lane (Egmore)
Lafford Street/Lane (Chindadripet)
Lambeth Avenue (RA Puram)
Lamech Avenue (Nungambakkam)
Landons Road (Kilpauk):Love: Landons Gardens takes it name from Mr James Landon, a civil servant of 1778.
Langs Garden Road (Komaliswaranpet):MTV: Gen Ross Lang who defended Vellore in 1775 and later rose to become general of the company’s army.
Lawrence Road (St Thomas Mount):MTV: A garden house at St Thomas Mount belonged to Major Stringer Lawrence
Lettangs Road (Vepery/Purasawalkam)
Lloyds Colony (Royapettah):
Lock Street (Ayanavaram)
Maddox Street (Park Town)
Madley Street (T Nagar): JCM: The Engineer of Madras Corporation who laid the drainage network circa 1914-1925
Molony Road (T Nagar): JCM: J Chartres Molony, President of the Madras Corporation in 1920s. He was one of the prime movers behind the Madras waterworks scheme.
McLean Street (George Town): MM: In Love there is mention of Christopher Macklin, the head bricklayer of Fort St George between 1746 and 1774. In the light of another bricklayer (Stringer) being honoured with a street name, it is likely that Macklin Street became McLean Street.
McNicholls Road (Chetput):Love: This existed in 1798 as an avenued highway. It derives its name from Robert McNichol, who was Assistant Master Attendant between 1811 and 1822.
Menads Street (Puraswalkam):
Millers Road (Puraswalkam/Vepery):
Montieth Road (Egmore):Love: William Montieth entered the Madras Engineers in 1809, became Lt Col in 1826 and Lt Gen in 1854
Moores Road (Egmore/Nungambakkam):Love: One of the earliest roads in Nungambaukum, this communicated with Moore’s Gardens, probably so called after Mr George Moore of the civil service who was Civil Auditor in 1814 and died at Madras in 1834
Morse Road (Ayanavaram)
Murrays Gate Road (Alwarpet):Love: Leading from Moubray’s Road to Dunmore House, is named after the Hon Leveson Granville Keith Murray, son of the 4th Earl of Dunmore who owned the house between 1822 and 1831. Mr Murray entered the civil service in 1793, and in 1822 was Collector of Madras and Member of the Road Committee. He retired in 1831.
Nancy Street (Purasawalkam)
Nimmo Street (Mylapore): Love states that Erskine Nimmo was a Free Merchant who had had thirty years of Indian experience in as early as 1797. He was a firm believer in the power of lotteries and recommended one for funding a native hospital.
New Boag Road (Kannammapet): Sir George T Boag, Census Superintendent in the 1920s, later Chief Secretary to the Government and Governor of Orissa
New Farens Road (Pulianthope): Love: Called after Gen. Farran who owned a house near the present Buckingham Mills. He entered the army in 1788 and became Maj. Gen in 1837.
Noble Street (St Thomas Mount):
Norton Road (Mandaveli):Eardley Norton who owned a vast property here
Old Smith Tank Road (Washermanpet)
Parrys Corner (George Town):The firm of Parry which has stood here for over two centuries
Patullos Road (Royapettah):Love: “Connecting Mount Road with White’s Road, it takes its name from Capt Archibald Erskine Patullo who entered the Madras Cavalry in 1802, became Captain in 1818 and died in 1824 when commanding the Body Guard. In 1822 he owned a house called Hicks Bungalow here which now forms part of the Madras Club premises”. Hicks Bungalow was obviously the house of one Mr Hicks. Today, this is all part of Express Estates.
Peters Road (Royapettah):Love: Captain Thomas Peters of Madras who died in 1798 may have given the thoroughfare its name
Philips Street (George Town):
Phipps Road (Perambur): SI: CE Phipps, Locomotive Superintendent, Perambore Loco Works, circa 1900
Pilkington Road (Perambur):SI: A Pilkington, Dy.Locomotive Superintendent, Perambore Loco Works, circa 1900
Poes Gardens (Poes Gardens): Love: Named after Mr Poe who owned Sudder Gardens in 1822
Poes Road (Teynampet):Love: Named after Mr Poe who owned Sudder Gardens in 1822
Pughs Road (RA Puram): Love: Probably named after Mr Joseph Pugh, owner of Bishops Gardens, Adyar, who in 1816 was head of the firm of Pugh & Breithaupt. Pugh’s Road led from Chamier’s Road to the river and gave access to Pughs Gardens
Pycrofts Street (Royapettah):See Love on Pycrofts Garden Road below. Pycrofts Street leads off from Bharati Salai which was earlier called Pycrofts Road
Pycrofts Garden Road (Nungambakkam):Love: Once the residence of Dr Anderson, it was placed at the disposal of the Government for the use of the College of Fort St George. On the transfer of that establishment to the Old College Building in 1827, it again became a private residence and after occupation by Dr Annesley passed to Sir Thomas Pycroft. The latter entered the civil service in 1829 and was stationed at the Presidency from 1846, becoming a Member of Council in 1862. He gave his name to Pycrofts Road in Triplicane
Queen Victoria Road (Poonamallee): Need we say any more?
Rex Street (Egmore)
Ritchie Street (off Mount Road): HCM: Ritchie was Registrar of the High Court. Love also speaks of a Mr Ritchie who was Marine Surveyor of Fort St George in the 1780s. This was an important position as he was in charge of seeing how the port could be made to receive ships throughout the year.
Ritherdon Road (Vepery)
Robertson Road (Vepery): MM: Love mentions a Rev Andrew Robertson.DELETE THIS LINE. BUT KEEP STREET NAME
Rundalls Road (Vepery):Love: Was formed between 1798 and 1816. Its designation is perhaps due to Col. Charles Rundall, who entered the army in 1800, became Lt. Col, in 1830 and died in Madras the following year. He occupied the post of Military Auditor-Gen in 1822.
Rutland Gate (Nungambakkam)
Samson Road (Ayanavaram)
Sargent Road (Ayanavaram)
Smith Lane & Road (off Mount Road):Love: Gen Smith owned a garden house in this area.
Solomon Street (St Thomas Mount):
Spring Haven Road (Port Trust):Sir Francis Spring, Secretary to the Madras Government’s railway department and later became Chairman of the Madras Port Trust
Stanley Road (Ayanavaram): Probably after Charles Henry Stanley, Supdt. of the Perambore Loco Works in 1907 (source: Institution of Engineers List on the web – http://www.archive.org/stream/listofmembers1907instuoft/listofmembers1907instuoft_djvu.txt
Stephenson Road & Lane (Vyasarpadi): MM:Could this be named after George Stephenson (1781-1848), creator of the first locomotive engine?
Sterling Road (Nungambakkam): Love: Shown as a cart track in 1816 it takes its name from the former owner of an adjacent property, Luke Hauterville Sterling, a subaltern of HM’s 74th Regiment who came to Madras in 1791, exchanged sword for quill and became in 1799 Sealer of the Recorder’s Court. In 1803 he was Sealer of the Supreme Court and Clerk to Sir Thomas Strange. In 1822 he was one of the Sessions Justices.
Strahans Road (Vepery): MN: Major W Strahan lived in Royapettah but JMD Strachan lived in Vepery. Perhaps this road name has changed over the years.
Stringer Street (George Town): Love: Named after James Stringer, who was appointed Master Bricklayer in 1763. He owned a house on this street. He died in 1787 after 24 years of service. His tombstone describes him as Superintendent of Public Buildings, HEICS.
Stringer Road (Vepery)Love opines that it is uncertain if this street is named after the above Stringer or his son. The family owned property here too.
Sullivan Street (Mylapore): Love: Named after Sir Benjamin Sullivan, Advocate-General and afterwards a Judge of the Supreme Court (circa 1798)
Taylors Road (Kilpauk): Love: Laid out between 1798 and 1816 it probably takes its name from James Taylor who received a grant of 11 acres in Chetput in 1800. He entered the civil service in 1795, was Superintendent of the Investment in 1802 and became a Member of the Council in 1828. He retired in 1833.
Teeds Gardens (Perambur)
Thomas Street (Teynampet)
Todhunter Nagar (Saidapet): Sir Charles Todhunter, Member. Governor’s Executive Council, Acting Governor of Madras in 1929, later Secretary to the Maharajah of Mysore and also the founder of the Teacher’s College in Saidapet. The road runs along the walls of the college.
Trevelyan Basin Road (George Town):Sir Charles Trevelyan, Governor of Madras 1859/60
Trevithick Avenue (Perambur): MM: Almost certainly named after Richard Trevithick (1771-1833), pioneering British inventor, whose unnamed locomotive in 1804 made the world’s first train journey in Wales.
Tuckers Lane (George Town):Leads to Tuckers Church
Turnbulls Road (RA Puram): MN: JG Turnbull lived at Adyar
Umpherson Street (George Town): Love: Umpherston Street probably takes its name from Thomas Umpherston a coach builder, who is mentioned in 1792 as a resident of Black Town. In the map of 1837 the street name has degenerated to Humphersons (wonder what Love would say now!)
Waddels Road (Kilpauk): Love: Dare’s Gardens, Kilpauk belonged to Mr Waddell in 1816
Wallace Garden (Nungambakkam):
Wallers Road (Chindadripet): MM: Named after Thomas Parker Waller who owned property here. A part of his land was made over to the church in the 1840s and the Christ Church on Mount Road stands on the land where his livery stables were.
Williams Street (Perambur)
Westcott Road (Royapettah):Love: Derives its name from George Westcott who entered the Civil Service in 1764. He was the son of Foss Westcott, one of the commissioners appointed to receive Madras from the French in 1749. George Westcott was senior member of the Board of Trade. He died at Madras in 1809.
Whannells Road (Kilpauk):Love: Named after Major Peter Whannell whose house stood at the angle between this road and Poonamallee Road. He was Military Auditor-General in 1822, became Major in 1832 and died at Madras in 1854, aged 76.
Wheners Road (Egmore):
Whites Road (Royapettah):Love: Derives its name from Mr JD White who in 1809 built a house which forms the nucleus of the Madras Club.
Woods Road (Royapettah): Love: Derives its name from Mr Edward Wood who entered the civil service in 1800. In 1811 he was Registrar of the Sudder Court and in 1822 when Chief Secretary, owned the house which is now the Castle Hotel.